How to get Android N update right now?
Google is rolling out Android Nougat (Android N/ Android 7) update to eligible devices and as expected Nexus devices will be the first ones to get this update. All other devices may have to wait for a mercy of their device manufacturers and carriers and only god knows when they will get the update.
Lucky are the folks who have not so old Nexus devices (Including me, hooray Nexus 6!). However, there is some painful wait time even for eligible devices and I have learned hard way that even that can take forever. So here is how to get your Android N update on eligible devices NOW if you do not want to wait and… wait!
A quick summary of changes in Android N:
- Expanded emoji: Now over 1,500
- Multi-locate support: Apps can tailor their content based on your locale settings. So if you speak multiple languages, for instance, then search engines can show results in each of those languages
- Quick Settings controls: You can now control what tiles go where, and move it around
- Direct Reply: Reply directly to notifications without having to open any app
- Multi-window: Run two apps side-by-side. The windows are resizable, too, by simply dragging the divider
- Quick Switch: Switch between your two most recently used apps by simply double tapping the Overview button
- Support for VulkanTM (an advanced 3D rendering API) and Daydream (Google’s platform for mobile virtual reality)
Seamless updates: New Android devices with Nougat can install software updates in the background which means you won't have to wait while your device installs the update and optimizes all your apps for the new version. And for current Nexus users, software updates now install much faster, so you won't have to wait for minutes while your device reboots
- “Google, Now for God’s sake, can you at-least figure out how to actually update all Android phones?”
- Direct Boot: Direct Boot helps your device startup faster, and apps run securely even before you unlock your device when your device reboots
We've reports of Nexus 6P getting the upgrade. You can always wait until your device receives the update over the air, but if you don't want to wait, you can get Android Nougat right now – here are the instructions.
There are the supported devices for Android N update:
- Nexus 6, 9, 5X, 6P
- Nexus Player
- Google Pixel C
- Android One
How to get Android N right-now on eligible devices?
Devices that are currently enrolled in the Beta program are the first to receive the stable version of Android 7.0, and the opt-in process is fairly easy.
- Head to Android Beta program
- Sign into the Google account associated with your eligible phone
- Scroll down to Your eligible devices
- Find the device you want to enroll in the Beta program and tap Enroll device
- Follow the prompts to accept the over-the-air download
How to Manually Update your Nexus devices?
Check out my earlier post for instructions on how to Manually updating your Android devices to Android 6. You can still follow same instruction but need to wait for Android 7 OTA zip file to do so. I will post new link for Android 7 OTA zip once I have one.